Monday, July 31, 2006

Obsession

Because it's Monday, and I can't be expected to have an original thought on Mondays, here's a meme that's been making the rounds.
What I've been obsessed with in my life
The Last Unicorn: I still love this film. It's so beautiful. A lovely fairytale. The Smurfs: I had the little figurines and everything. And we got those glasses from Hardees. I understand there's going to be a Smurfs movie in 2008. Barbies: Gotta love Barbie and all her anatomical impossibilities. I enjoyed cutting all their hair off, punking them up with makeup, and making them screw Ken. They all ended up naked and discarded. Dancing: I took dance for about 10 years. Ballet, tap, jazz. I wanted to be in Fame or Flashdance or, at the very least, Footloose. But once I hit high school, I had to save all my free time for boys. They became my extracurricular activities. A shame, really. Boys and sex: I'm still kind of boy crazy and horny. Can you tell? Load Runner: I had an Atari 800XL and would play Load Runner for hours. I think I still have a screen shot lasered on my retinas. If I close my eyes, I can see it. Nick at Nite: When this came out, I had cable in my bedroom at home. I had one of those boxes with the buttons on the top with no remote. I'm not sure why, but I watched all the shows on Nick at Nite. Endless hours of Mr. Ed and Green Acres. It really bothers me that now they have A Different World and News Radio on Nick at Nite. Apparently I'm getting old. Drugs and Alcohol: I started drinking in 8th grade and smoking weed in 9th. In high school, summer weekends were spent at the beach, finding some redneck to buy us a case, and getting lit. The rest of the year we had field parties, which consisted of someone tapping a few kegs on their parents' property out in the country. Partying carried over through college, of course, where my roommates and I always had beer and leftover pizza in the fridge, but little else. Most weeks I partied almost every night. Now? I rarely drink. Go figure. Romance novels: I've posted about how I used to sneak my mom's romance novels. I still love them. Cheesy, I know, but I can't help it. Travel: I've also posted about this. I love to travel and see new places. Even if it's just an hour away, I like to get out and explore. James Bond: I'm a huge James Bond fan. I even have a James Bond tattoo. My mom and my brother always watched when I was growing up, but it wasn't until high school that I really began to appreciate it. I know it's misogynistic and antiquated, but I just love the glamour and glitz and international intrigue. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: I have all the DVDs. Angel, too. Joss Whedon is a god. Wedding crap: This is my latest obsession. I've got the thing pretty well planned out now. All I need is the ring (any day now!). I'm sure there's more, but I haven't had any caffeine this morning, and my brain is goo. Perhaps I'll add more later, once I've had a jolt.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, this is a good post idea. I may have to copy you later, if you don't mind. ;)

Totally with you on The Last Unicorn, though my obsession with the book runs even deeper than the one with the film.

...and this reminds me for some reason...did you ever see the Smurfs movie called "The Smurfs and the Magic Flute"? We had it taped off TV somewhere when I was little. Crazy stuff. Poor Johann. He got stuck playing such a straight man all the time. :)

7/31/2006 2:44 PM  
Blogger Cin said...

Happy Monday! Here from Michele's.

It's nice to know I'm not the only person who owns the Buffy/Angel dvds (I'm hunting for the last season of Buffy to make the collection complete).

All I can say is MmmMMmm Spike. Yum.

7/31/2006 3:03 PM  
Blogger Walking Barefoot said...

Obsessions in my past life - Drugs, Men, Music which often went together with Sex.

My obsessions today - Coffee, Summertime, Younger Men, Music and Sex.

At least some things haven't changed.

7/31/2006 5:10 PM  
Blogger Buttercup said...

A James Bond tattoo!! Oh My! We had all the movies growing up and I watched them all religiously. How much did Jaws freak you out? (I think that was his name, the big gianormous guy with huge metal braces that fell in love with the little blonde-haired pig-tailed girl?).

7/31/2006 5:53 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Newsradio is on Nick at Nite?! Holy crap, I love that show :)

Great post, by the way. Very entertaining.

7/31/2006 9:11 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

HA! I LOVE Buffy! and Angel, and pretty much anythin Joss Whedon puts his hands on. I knew there was a reason I thought you were so darn smart...hehe

7/31/2006 9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool.
Obsessions of mine are COSMETICS and jewelry and internet surfing

8/01/2006 1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list! I can't wait to see your ring. :)

8/01/2006 5:03 AM  
Blogger (M)ary said...

your love of romance novels makes me think of this blog site:
http://alittlecheesewiththatwhine.blogspot.com/

she is a romance writer.

i used to sneak Harlequins from my mom when i was in the third grade and fourth grade. i would share them with my friends. we were too young to appreciate them!
i remember the old romance novels from the 70's...they were so innocent!

ps my favorites are GOTHIC romances...

8/02/2006 1:23 AM  
Blogger Gypsy said...

RB: That film sounds familiar, but these days my memory is a bit shot.

Cin: Oh, Spike. Sigh.

Jade: Consistency is good.

Buttercup: Yeah, Jaws was a piece of work.

Michelle: Thanks! It really bothers me that shows from 10 years ago are on Nick at Nite. I am not that old yet!

Karamia: Great minds and all that. ;)

Cyndy: I should have put cosmetics down, too. Can't get enough!

Ka-rista: Thanks!

Sue: At the rate he's going, it'll be next year! No, it should be soon. If he doesn't decide a bow is more important, in which case he'll swiftly find himself with my foot up his ass.

M: I check out that blog every day! Great stuff. I like the Gothics, too. My favs are the really long historicals.

8/02/2006 6:20 PM  
Blogger Gypsy said...

Ack, I forgot one.

Susie: I can't wait to see it, either. ;)

8/02/2006 6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Barbie. Her and Ken were very naughty at my place too.

I've still got all of my 7 barbies. They have no hair and ears pierced with sewing pins, hands smeared with nail polish. Ken's head broke off and he now has a permanent masking tape collar. Whenever I go to the Warehouse, I'll make a trip down the Barbie aisle. My niece sold all her barbies when she turned 7. I was horrified.

8/04/2006 3:34 AM  
Blogger Virginia Belle said...

dude, what a cool post idea. i am stealing. try and stop me.

i remember the Smurfs glasses. i always wanted them, but we never got them. i was stuck drinking out of them at angie ford's house. very stoked about the movie.

i kept my barbies in pristine condition. i never cut their hair or painted on them. i brushed their hair and picked out cute outfits for them. then ken would come over and they would screw their brains out.

i too am still obsessed with boys and sex. i am still like a teenager.

i was more of a tetris girl. OMG i can play all day long.

i can't believe A Different World is on Nick at Nite. It makes me feel old. and i'm only 27. very sad. i remember watching Clarissa Knows it All on Nick.

and James Bond is the sexiest man ever in existance, whether real or fictional. but only when played by sean connery. and pierce brosnan. remember how the women would always go, "Oh, James!" -- kills me.

8/04/2006 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home