Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Wedding bells?

Dammit all to hell! I had this big long entry about the whole marriage question and what the hell is taking L and I so long to tie the knot, and the blasted mother effing Blogger took a crap. *deep breaths* It's not all that exciting, I suppose. We've been together about 9 years, more or less. There was a brief hiatus there in the middle where we both (especially L) took some time to be selfish and completely messed up in the head. When we finally did come to our senses and got back together, we decided we wanted to get married. Well, I'd decided a year or two before that, but still. (Apparently turning 27 made me all marriage crazy and shit.) During most of our relationship we had both been very anti-marriage. We were all "we don't need a piece of paper and the government telling us we're committed." Now? Apparently we do. But for about 2 years the timing just hasn't been right. Living in DC wasn't very conducive to planning a wedding in Florida, we were both working stressful jobs with not a lot of pay, so money was tight... It just didn't feel like the right time. Last year we moved home, and it seemed like the stars were aligning for an engagement, but it took longer than we anticipated for our job situations to work out. I was unemployed for 7 months, and he was underemployed for about the same time. We could have gotten married at any time, I suppose, but it's been important to us to start the engagement/wedding process from a good foundation, with us being back home and with good jobs and all that. Now, finally, it really does look like we can get started. There have been times when I've been very impatient. That might be an understatement. Ok. There have been times when I've been a pre-Bridezilla. But now that it's on the horizon I see that now is the perfect time. (NOW. Do you hear me, L? Now would be good. )

5 Comments:

Blogger yellojkt said...

Wedding planning is kinda fun. I sort of miss it and sometimes want to go to bridal shows incognito. Of course, they have gotten much fancier and expensive than when I got married.

My mom is also a shopaholic. She buys Christmas presents at outlet malls and we have to find out what's wong with them before we wear them. She's borderline nuts.

5/10/2006 5:35 PM  
Blogger Buttercup said...

Congrats that you've reached a good time. That's exciting. I was also somewhat heartened to hear that you guys had taken a "break." Raj and I did the same thing, and recently got back together. We're still figuring stuff out, but it's nice to hear that taking a break does not necessarily doom you.

5/10/2006 7:02 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

Ahh, I love watching the Bridzilla stuff, just remember to record everything so you can make a mint off your syndication rights.
Here via michele today

5/10/2006 7:20 PM  
Blogger Gypsy said...

Buttercup, it's definately do-able. It was certainly hard, but taking a break was the best thing we ever did for our relationship. Good luck to you guys!

Megan, it's called... an image?

5/10/2006 10:10 PM  
Blogger atpanda said...

Wow! While I fully understand the desire for a big to-do, I vote you should just run off to Vegas on the sly and not tell anyone! Then you can have a big fancy wedding for everyone else later, when it is the right time. Then you'll already be married so the pressure is off! :-)

5/11/2006 2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home