I'm afraid of crazy
Insanity has always scared me.
Not the gentle kind of cuckoo, the kind where smurfs or eggplants whisper funny little things to you, and not the kind where you just mutter to yourself or forget that you have bumble bees strapped to your shirt with string.
No, the batshit crazy gonna eat your heart through a straw and dance in the street with ripped off penises dangling over your ears kind of insanity.
If ever anyone asks me what I'm afraid of it goes like this: insanity, spiders, and sharks.
But that which terrifies also fascinates.
Movies like House on Haunted Hill creep me right the fuck out. And then there's Quills, which was brilliant and disgusting and I was riveted. There's an old children's mental hospital here in town that people claim is haunted. Friends and I used to scare ourselves silly and go out there and wander around. Well, not so much. I mean, we'd drive up and park in front of the rundown, dirty building, drink a few beers, get scared, and leave.
I used to read a lot of true crime, especially having to do with serial killers. The Alienist is one of my favorite books. The memories of Ted Bundy and Aileen Wuornos and Danny Rolling still linger here in Florida.
I would read and watch everything I could get my hands on about Jack the Ripper, and even went on the Jack the Ripper Walk in London. I have a lighter from The Ten Bells somewhere. Isn't that horrible? Serial killer souvenir.
Last night I watched Sybil for the first time. What an amazing woman (barring the MPD naysayers). It was difficult to watch, but fascinating, too, how she struggled out of it, how the mind works to protect us from harm. (And here when I'm talking about criminal insanity I mean her mother, not Sybil.)*
This is where creepiness and the macabre and dark lyricism and scaring yourself to get that jolt go by the wayside, where real pain and hurt and grief and more damage than anyone should ever have to bear come in. That split, that rift, that dark twist that makes someone a monster is terrifying to me. The part we can't control. It's all shadows and something under the bed or just behind you breathing down your neck.
Or inside your head, clawing to get.
*Apparently there's a new Sybil coming out this year.

7 Comments:
I'm fascinated by Multiple Personality Disorder. On the one hand it sounds like it could be fun for about a day. On the other, oh mama.
I also have a strange fascination with serial killers. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!
Sybil is probably one of the most memorable movies i've ever seen, i can't imagine a remake. Dont they have any new ideas in tinsel town??
but i'mwith you, mental health disorders scare me too..
I love true crime stories too. One of the most interesting people I ever saw speak was Robert Ressler, a former FBI profiler. He talked about his conversations with Bundy, Gacy, Dahmer, etc. It was fascinating and repulsive all at the same time.
I've read the book Sybil, but never saw the movie. Who played her?
Insanity is both terrifying and fascinating. I have read, somewhere in the hojillion things that I have read in my lifetime, that this fascination tends to be particularly marked in women for some reason, hence the demographics show that TV programs like Profiler were more popular with females. I don't know why that should be...perhaps because a lot of us already spend a lot of time thinking about psychology, one way or another?
Incidentally, insanity has a lot to do with why I like Batman. Almost everybody in the Bat-o-verse is completely...well, batshit insane, in some way. Good guys, bad guys, nearly everyone has some sort of mental-health quirk. Makes things quite interesting.
Or perhaps I just have that certain Gothic quirk of personality, even though I don't wear solid black or write depressing poetry. :) That quirk that makes trashed-out, abandoned buildings weirdly beautiful, or that makes things that frighten you compel you at the same time.
Something else for your reading list if you're interested: Gothic: Four Hundred Years of Excess, Evil, Horror, and Ruin by Richard Hines. It's a bit dry and thinky at times, but is an interesting history of the whole concept of gothic-ness, including art, architecture, and music.
Megan: I'm always curious about what personalities I would come up with.
Lori: We're not alone!
Karamia: I know, right? Now we have things like Miami Vice to deal with. Oh brother.
Susie: It was Sally Field. She won an emmy.
RB: Oh, I'm going to have to pick that book up. I took a Gothic Lit class in undergrad that I loved. I have just a smidge of goth in me, too.
dude. i loved quills.
i too love true crime stories. it is amazing to me that serial killers (or really, any murderer) has at some point thought, "yes. i will kill them." i guess just looking at how they get to that point, how they do it, how they try to cover it up, and their behavior in general is just astoundingly fascinating to me.
so no, you aren't the only one.
i have never seen Sybil. maybe i should. i love horror/suspense movies. as long as there is not too much gore. i made the mistake of seeing House of 1,000 Corpses. it made me cry. bad bad movie. (i figured, i love his music, why not his movies?--dumb dumb dumb.)
RB-- i heard once that the difference between men and women is this: men want to know how THINGS work, women want to know how PEOPLE work. hence our love of studying criminal behavior. and our need to analyze male behavior.
crazy freaks me out too. ALL kinds of crazy. but not all movies depicting crazy people bother me. Example: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Not that jack nicholson wasn't believable, but he just didn't scare me in that. Now, the Shining. That is a completely different story. He almost made me s--t my pants.
Post a Comment
<< Home