Monday, June 05, 2006

Not Goth

The other day I was shopping at Publix and saw a young girl who was all gothed up. She looked maybe 17 or 18. Short black skirt, long matte black hair, black stockings with holes, black Docs, lots of eyeliner. I smiled when I saw her because in this small-ish town, we don't get a lot of nonconformists. Sure, we have all sorts, but the predominant demographic is yuppie and preppy with redneck thrown in for good measure. As I was leaving, I saw said Goth girl peeling out of the parking lot and running over a curb in her old, white hearse. How cool is that? Pretty damn, if you ask me. I'm not in the least bit Goth, but I understand the draw. You probably couldn't tell to look at me, but that kind of darkness appeals to me. In another life maybe I would have been brave enough to eschew the capris and sandals and don a corset, purple hair extensions, and black nail polish. Instead, I'll continue to read Gothic Beauty, I'll get all dorked up and go to Renaissance Festivals, I'll read my fantasy and witchy novels, I'll listen to some haunting and beautiful music, I'll watch old and new(er) favorites, and I'll drool over these beauties. But I'll do it with caramel highlights, pink sandals, a Polo shirt, and lip gloss.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ruby said...

In my other life, I'm a crunchy, hippie wearing long flowy skirts and birkenstocks.

6/05/2006 3:55 PM  
Blogger Trouble said...

I'm hopelessly blond, hopelessly ditzy, hopelessly preppy.

And yet, inside my head, I aspire, hopelessly, to be Renee Rousseau in the Thomas Crown Affair. I'd love to have the balls to wear a see-through dress out the door.

6/05/2006 6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A white hearse?! Yeah, if I were just a couple years younger I'd be all goth all the time.

6/05/2006 7:58 PM  
Blogger Buttercup said...

I read the Rhapsody series and thought it was quite could. It wasn't awesome but it features a female lead character which I love, she's pretty cool, and there was something that captivated me in the story. Did you get to the Dragon love scenes yet? Steamy.

Brandon Lee!! I LOVED the Crow. I haven't thought about that for a while. I saw that movie at a drive through movie theatre near my home town during one summer while I was lifeguarding. I wanted to be the Crow.

6/06/2006 1:00 AM  
Blogger Gypsy said...

Oh yes, I've read the whole series and loved it. You're right -- not the best, but something about it is so intriguing. And it's certainly a unique premise. Gotta love the strong heroines.

6/06/2006 3:03 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

I'm right there with you in my capris and girly shoes but thinking the Goth look is pretty damn cool.

Here today from Michele's (although I stop in most days anyway...I'm still not quite recovered from yesterday's spider story)

6/06/2006 1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A hearse? I have to admit I'm rather jealous.

I suppose I'm one of those girls who looks different everyday, depending the amount of effort I want to put into getting ready and applying makeup... if any. I'll be called a prep one day and a goth another. Of course I'm leaning more towards the 'who cares what I wear, it's bloody hot out' area of fashion now.

I don't suppose you have had the chance to check out any goth clubs? Wonderfully dressed crowds, absolutely amazing.

6/07/2006 4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dated a guy when i was much, much younger who drove a hearse...for fun...he was a trip! Hey, have you read the vampire series by Charlaine Harris? Pretty good.

6/09/2006 2:05 AM  
Blogger Gypsy said...

Janet, I have! And I looooooove them.

6/09/2006 2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home