Gimme some twang
So, I'm just going to come out and say it. I watch Nashville Star.
Yep, that's right, I do. And I love it. I have only seen one episode of American Idol, and it sucked so hard I could only stand a few minutes of it. Nashville Star, however, is fandamntastic.
These are some seriously talented artists, and I don't know how the judges make their decisions. I've only watched one episode so far this season (I have the second on DVR, so don't spoil it for me, in the event that anyone else out there actually watches this. Unlikely.), but the talent was outstanding.
And y'all, I'm from the south and all, but I did not grow up liking country music. Oh, no. Not at all. My parents listened, and of course I rebelled against that entirely. But, as I've mentioned before, the older I get, the more I like it. Not that Kenny Chesney or Toby Keith shit, but Brad Paisley cracks me up, and Allison Kraus has the voice of an angel, and Allison Moorer is my own personal heroine. And Dolly Parton? There are no words. She knocks me flat and always has.
Anyhoo, my point is, like my boys, I kinda like my music with a southern accent. As a child who grew up with Madonna and Cindi Lauper and (thank you, Jesus!) Pat Benetar, and then, later, The Cure and Depeche Mode and even the Beastie Boys, it's a bit embarrassing to now listen to country and bluegrass. But I'm dealing. I've come to terms with liking things because, goddammit, I LIKE THEM.
Is is possible for a commie-pinko-feminist-liberal to live in a red state, listen to country music, and love good old boys? Looks like it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home