Tuesday, August 08, 2006

We wandered into Tackytown

Lancelot and I are wanderers. We like to get out and just browse around. Antique stores, used bookstores, farmer's markets, flea markets. Saturday afternoon we decided to head out for a wander and ended up at the flea market. I don't know why we bother anymore. Used to be you'd go to a flea market and find unique, kitschy stuff. Now? It's just crap. At least in our small town. Tacky, tacky crap. A few examples of the decorating nightmares we encountered: Why, yes, this will go quite nicely with our living room furniture. I think it will pick up the chrome on our coffee table nicely. And this will turn our dining room into that lovely Chinese restaurant down the road. Perfection! A lamp like this, I think, for the bedroom. One of these, certainly, to put on the shelf underneath this. This rug ought to finish off the room nicely. And then, to spice up our wardrobes, this shirt for Lancelot and perhaps this dress for me. And all the fake Fendi I can get my grubby hands on.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! I know! You can get one of the ziggurat horses! It'd be perfect. ;)

8/08/2006 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay now you know you want the wizard black velvet painting!
ha
The flea market here is mostly food and junky crap (or stolen tools)

8/08/2006 2:30 PM  
Blogger Shephard said...

Oh, a black velvet panther painting. Too rare. I'm sure that would sell on Ebay for at least $4.

lol. Great post.
(visiting from Michele's).
~S

8/08/2006 7:20 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

Sad...the Dolphin went for about 46 bucks..
personally, i think it was under priced...lmao

8/08/2006 7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss the days when thrift stores had bargains.... I once bought about 12 pairs of jeans for under $3... Try that now...

Michele says howdy!

8/08/2006 8:17 PM  
Blogger *~*Cece*~* said...

Love the panther painting! LOL Who buys that stuff? Really.

8/08/2006 9:43 PM  
Blogger *~*Cece*~* said...

Oh & you've gotta love all the knock off's you can buy! HA!

8/08/2006 9:56 PM  
Blogger ME said...

The last few flea markets I went to appeared to have some garbage crap from a left over white trash yard sale.

8/08/2006 10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, WHO buys that stuff is right! Everytime I see those HGTV shows where they talk about this fantastic table they found at a garage sale for only $5. bucks, I want to scream. We never find that stuff at garage sales here!

Great to meet you, Gypsy! Thanks for stopping by my site earlier.

8/09/2006 12:39 AM  
Blogger Gypsy said...

RB: Gaaah!! That horse scares me.

Cyndy: The sad thing is, once upon a time I probably would have. Along with a dragon-shaped bong.

Shep: Black velvet leopards are only ever trumped by black velvet Elvis.

Karamia: Dude, $46?? Who are these people?

Guppyman: I think that's why we still go -- looking for that great find. We only ever buy tools or produce, though.

Cece: I have no idea who buys it, but obviously someone does. Oh, it's just awful.

Craze: Exactly! Only overpriced.

Laura: I know, right? I'd like to know where those flea markets are because they certainly aren't finding any shabby chic shit at my flea market.

Sue: If he ever, EVER, put on a shirt like that I'd kill him. Slowly. Barf.

8/09/2006 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home