Thursday, August 17, 2006

Thursday Thirteen

13 Perfumes I've Worn
1. Love's Baby Soft -- I think after Tinkerbell perfume, this was the first perfume I wore. Powdery, sweet, pink. Why children need perfume I'll never know, but I certainly wore it, as did every other girl in the 70s and early 80s. 2. Chantilly -- My mother is very sensitive to smells. This was one of the only perfumes she could wear. It still reminds me of Mom. I used to snag some of hers around age 11. Soft and delicate. 3. Anais Anais -- Another of my mother's scents, but she didn't wear it very much, therefore I appropriated it for myself. Light, floral, sweet. 4. Red Door -- This was the first gift I ever received from a boyfriend. I was 15, and it was Valentine's Day. We'd been dating around a month, but we ended up dating for 4 years. He was my first love. I still love this scent but I won't wear it. It's spicy and sexy. That same Valentine's Day I bought him Lagerfeld's Photo. 5. Tuscany per Donna -- I wore this in late high school. It's soft, mild, easy, comfortable. 6. CK1 -- I loved that this was unisex. I bought it the year I went to Europe for the first time, in college. It's a very clean, fresh scent. When I smell it I think of travel and adventure and handsome boys. If you combine that scent with exhaust fumes, of all things, I'm reminded of waiting for the boat in the harbor in Athens. 7. DKNY -- God, this was sexy. And I was wearing it at probably the most sexually adventurous time in my life, late college. It's warm and soft like suede. 8. Samsara -- Grrrr. So sexy. I'd almost forgotten about this one. I bought it when I was living in Italy and it devastates me every time I wear it. Hot, smoky, sexy, luxe. 9. Obsession -- I was wearing this when Lancelot and I met. It's classic and one of my favorites. It's sexy, warm, and musky. 10. Chanel no. 5 -- Who doesn't love Chanel? This one is so timeless. One year I mentioned in passing to Lancelot that I really loved Chanel no. 5. It was the briefest of conversations. About 6 months later he gave it to me for Christmas. I was touched that he remembered. 11. Saphir by Boucheron -- My jetsetting brother gave me this one a couple of years ago, and it's gorgeous. The scent sparkles and pops. 12. L'Occitane Eau des Vaniliers -- Lancelot brought this back to me from Europe. It's so yummy. It's a comforting, soft, foody scent. 13. Dana O'Shee -- I cannot recommend Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab enough. Their scents are gorgeous and unique and fun and interesting. Dana O'Shee is sweet (but not too sweet!), mild, and warm. Lovely and very wearable. 14. (Bonus!) O -- Another BPAL delight. Simply wonderful. I can't get enough. "The scent of sexual obsession, slavery to sensual pleasure, and the undercurrent of innocence defiled utterly. Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla." Pure sin.
If you have your Thursday Thirteen up, add your name here.
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

13 Comments:

Blogger Trouble said...

I love anais anais. And I love l'occitane. I wear their lavendar scent every day. The chef thinks it smells like gin when it first sprays on, but I love the smell of lavendar.

8/17/2006 1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too wore Love's Baby Soft. Strangely, I've heard it mentioned a lot lately. Maybe with this whole 80's resurgence.

8/17/2006 2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Samsara IS very sexy. ;) I like it myself, and wear the lighter version (Samsara Shine) for day sometimes. (Strangely, wearing it on a cold day makes me feel warmer. Go figure.)

I COVET Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. I wish I had a credit card (some sort of entanglements with moving to another country are making it difficult for me to get one here) so I could order from them. In the meantime, I can be jealous of everyone else. ;)

Heh. It's funny how perfume ads linger in the mind sometimes. I remember an old TV spot for Red Door...that voice whispering "Red Door...open it..." Always struck me as kind of creepy actually...

8/17/2006 2:55 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

I've said it before and i'll say it again, I'm a perfume whore...oh yes I am.

I remember tinkerbell...hehe

Currently i'm addicted to Purple Orchid by Calvin Klein and my fall back is A.V.

8/17/2006 3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wow. I'd forgotten all about Love's Baby Soft. I used to have Anais, Anais.. not sure what happened to it?
hmmmm..

My current favorite is "Ralph" by Ralph Lauren. It just seems to "fit" me well, but I can't wear it during the day... seems to "heavy" for daytime use.

8/17/2006 5:22 PM  
Blogger Rene said...

I'm going to have to check out this BPAL. Their frangrances sound awesome.

I don't wear perfume very often. When I was in high school I used bathe practically in Lauren. The smell makes me ill. I used love Perry Ellis for women. There was a compan called Kalyx that used to make an elixir which I loved. It was so pretty.

I'm trying to call to my hippy inner child and have been using patchouli oil shower gels.

8/17/2006 5:26 PM  
Blogger Trouble said...

I love how I misspelled lavender twice in this post. (dork)

8/17/2006 6:22 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

What, no Beautiful? I figure everyone has worn that at some point in time. I'm really loving Lancome's new Hypnose perfume right now.

8/17/2006 6:34 PM  
Blogger Buttercup said...

I think my office got a little warm ready that post. The last one sounds steamy. I'm currently into essential oils. Mixtures of sandalwood, rain, and fig and drops from other mysterious vials.

I wore "Knowing" by Estee Lauder for ever, then switched to Chanel No. 5. I also like Kate Spade's scent.

8/17/2006 7:48 PM  
Blogger ME said...

Loves Baby Soft. There's a blast from the past. I could smell it as soon as I ready the words!

8/17/2006 9:52 PM  
Blogger (M)ary said...

one of my sister's used to always wear anais, anais...

i used to wear Obssession...even tried the body glitter spray once.

8/17/2006 11:08 PM  
Blogger shpprgrl said...

I remember LOVES and TInkerbell. Tinkerbell products were quite a trailblazer! Great post!

I wore Tickle deodorant too!

8/19/2006 12:25 AM  
Blogger Virginia Belle said...

my mother doesn't let me read posts like this.

most of those purfumes (perfumes? damn, i cannot spell that word!) give me a headache. only because sometimes people put WAY too much of them on. i think i am just over-sensitive to spicy scents.

i like green scents. if it smells like plants, i'm there.

8/23/2006 8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home