Social blunders
There was a time when I was confident in company. When I could work a crowd. When fear of making a fool out of myself didn't occupy my mind while perching on bar stools and making idle chit chat. It used to come so easily. An effortless communion.
But now? I'm out of practice. Most of the time I feel like a complete imposter. Like any second I'm going to make some massive slip up, some horrendous gaffe, and I'll be forever cast out of pleasant company.
This is all, of course, ridiculous. I know that.
But it is never more evident than when meeting new people. This time was no different. I met Trouble for drinks on Friday, and, as usual, I was a nervous wreck leading up to the meeting. The first five minutes I was an idiot, and a dumb idiot at that, not being able to think of a word to say.
The minutes passed; I got more comfortable. I didn't slip out of my seat or dribble wine down my chin and I don't remember insulting anyone, so I loosened up enough to realize that this was going to be a really good time. And it was! I enjoyed myself immensely, once I let myself off the hook. She's kind and easy to talk to and funny and whip smart and silly and generous.
So thanks, Trouble, and I hope we'll do it again some time!

12 Comments:
I was the nervous one...all the restaurant peeps were teasing me about it. I had such a good time! Thanks so much!
p.s. is it incredibly nerdy that i was even more nervous about meeting you than I have been about meeting most male dates?
I'm so not right. ;)
Don't feel bad, I always make inappropriate jokes...boy does that go over well...lol.
Good for you for getting out of your comfort zone, it's a hard thing to do.
I've never been able to work a crow.
Unless I have a camera...
I think I'm still able to work a crowd, but only verbally, definitely not physically anymore! ha
I'm glad you had fun with Trouble.
We had a Denver area blogger meet in July and it was fun
OMG I could've written your second paragraph! That's how I feel when I first meet people. That's how nervous I was when we all met in Seattle.
Glad you had a good time.
I would never in a million years guess that YOU felt that way about meeting new people!
I must come across as a lot more confident than I really am. Or maybe I just have the whole fear something but do it anyway thing? Maybe. And maybe I'm talking out of my ass.
my goodness, i am reading down my blog roll and have read both sides of this love fest.
you two you should just get a room already (-:
ps i am glad to hear that you had a good time in the 3d world!
If people can't accept you drooling and stumbling on yourself, then they can't accept you. The guy I dated for nearly four years witnessed me chocking on my own spit within ten minutes of meeting.
:)
Trouble: You covered well then. You didn't seem nervous at all!
H: Nothing will ever be as bad as B's ass bag.
Karamia: I forgot to include my inappropriate jokes, too!
Buffy: I think I was only able to do it because of an abundance of liquid courage.
Cyndy: Naughty!
Cece: It's intimidating.
Craze & Sue: I'm beginning to think that "fake it until you make it" ought to be my motto. Apparently I put up a good front. ;)
M: We did get a room! A barroom.
Kitty Kat: Very, very good point and one I should try to take more to heart.
That is so cool!
I'm behind on my reading, I promise I'm not trying to hijack your blog.
Post a Comment
<< Home