Smoked
At twelve I was obsessed with cigarettes. The way they dangled from lips and fingers, the provocative inhaling and exhaling, the muted sound of lips compressing and releasing. I even liked the smell, forbidden and exotic, slightly harsh. My parents didn't smoke, told me it was a nasty habit. But I'd always been drawn to nasty things.
I examined the cigarette ads in magazines, watched the glossy-faced women in shockingly high heels curl manicured fingers around the ends of these mysterious, smoldering wands. I was particularly interested in the ladies' cigarettes, the abnormally long and slender kind that had tiny pastel foil stripes around the end. They were delicate. Sexy.
After months of imagining what I would look like brandishing a cigarette, practicing how I would hold it, how my lips would look pursed around the filter, I finally had my chance to smoke. My parents had a guest for dinner, a man who smoked.
I waited impatiently through the long meal. The adults were still gathered around the table after I asked to be excused, a pack of stolen matches burning a hole in my back pocket.
The crickets stopped their chattering when I went out to the driveway. I played listlessly with the bud of a flower, peeling the layers of unformed petals, making sure no one was around. I strolled ever so casually over to our guest's car. I was relieved to notice the window was down.
There was just enough light to see his pack of Benson & Hedges resting in the center console. I fidgeted with the edge of my t-shirt, flipped the hair out of my eyes, darted looks behind me at the door. Breathing heavily, I lunged inside the window, my hand snaking out to grab the pack and plucking one cigarette, drawing it back quickly into the curve of my hand. Inconspicuous. My cool deserting me, I ran across the driveway and down the front path toward the dark corner of the yard on the other side of the house.
Crouching down behind a hedge, I examined my pilfered cigarette. It was the first time I'd seen one up close. Bits of tobacco fell from the open end. As I rolled it between my fingers, feeling the soft cotton of the filter, the smooth paper, and the coarser texture of the enclosed tobacco, the rich smell came to me, different than the smell of smoke. Deep, earthy.
I brought the cigarette to my mouth and placed it between my lips, awkwardly gripping it, watching the tip waver up and down, unsteady. I lifted my butt off the ground and dug in my back pocket for the matches. It took several tries before I had one lit, and my hand shook as I brought the match to the end of the cigarette and waited. The end burned a few seconds then went out.
I fumbled for another match, struck it aflame, brought it to the tip and inhaled, drawing the heat of the flame into the cigarette, into my mouth. It stayed lit this time, and I shook out the match. Smoke curled into my mouth, too quick, too much, and I sputtered and coughed. Catching my breath I leaned back and watched the end of the cigarette burn brightly as I took another drag, pulled less smoke in, didn't swallow, just blew it back out.
I didn't know I wasn't smoking the right way. All I knew was I felt ten years older, ten times cooler. Most of the time it took me to smoke that cigarette I spent just holding it, watching it in my fingers, switching it from hand to hand. I watched the smoke drift from the tip, traced patterns in the air around me with the light from the end, occassionally took another drag, and flicked the ash as often as possible.
And when the cigarette was finished, when the last ash was dumped onto the grass beside me, I pinched the cigarette between my fingers and crammed it into the ground.
I no longer smoke. I did, "socially" (i.e., when drinking), through high school and college. Once the parties stopped, the smoking stopped. Now I can't stand it and wish Lancelot would quit, although I'll admit to a lingering perversity that still makes me think he's sexy when he smokes.

15 Comments:
So, did you like it and continue smoking? I was never interested in smoking because my mom did and I hated the smell. Probably also because I had asthma and gee, couldn't breathe when I was in a small space where she was smoking!
Damn you! I need a cigarette now!
I was almost 26 when I had my very first cigarette, and my story isn't nearly so exciting. It involves a stressful night and saving a young freshman from a likely rape. Damn girl! I hope she realizes what she started. A carton of smokes says she didn't even learn anything.
I've never smoked...as a young person prone to respiratory troubles I've had a tendency to cough uncontrollably around too much smoke. :) That's faded as I've gotten older, but I still really, REALLY hate the way the scent clings to clothes and hair. (As much hair as I have, that's a problem. ;))
HOWEVER. I totally understand the romance of the cigarette. They always made it look so exotic in the ads. Loners smoked. Spies smoked. Sexy femme fatales smoked. Cool people who did exciting things smoked. More than once I wondered what it would be like.
I liked the writing on this one especially. Nice work!
Again, I've learned something new about you after all these years. I had no idea you smoked at all. But then, why shouldn't that surprise me? LOL Great post!
I've never smoked, not that I wasn't tempted, I was. I grew up in a family of smokers, went to school smelling like smoke because it would seep into my clothing, my hair, even if I had just taken a shower. My dad used to hide in the bathroom to smoke, his airhose betraying him in a way that the smoke curling up from under the door could never do. He hid from my mother because she said that if she caught him smoking after having all but half of one lung removed..she would divorce him. She quite when I was 16 after having a heart attack. My dad never did.
Now I'm completely paranoid my daughter may start smoking. Thanks a lot, Ms. G. ;)
I'm with you on the sexy/smoking thing. The chef smokes, too, and I nag him constantly about it but secretly love the flavor of cigarettes in his mouth when he kisses me.
As a young adult I also associated smoking with romance and sex and beauty. Now it's just a horrible habit I've yet to break!
I'm with Rampant, nice piece of writing, especially, on this one Gypsy.
I only smoked a handful of cigarettes during high school and never liked it. My grandmother died in part from smoking, and my whole family has been trying to get my dad, sister, and brother to stop for ages. They're all trying to quit which I think is commendable.
I'm glad you quit too. I know what you mean about sexy, but there's nothing sexy about growing old with lungs that don't work, coughing up mucus and not being able to breathe, and dying early.
I better not let my husband read this. He's trying to quit. The way you write about smoking makes ME want to light up and I have bad asthma!
I'm glad you quit too. I used to be the Virginia Slim sexy smoker too, or so I thought. I quit in 1989 and at the price of the damn things now and the skin damage they wreak upon us...NO way!
:)
cool story GGgirl.
My friend and I used to pluck half smoked cigarettes from her mothers ash tray, sneak outside and finish them off. I had my first ciggie when I was 8.
Katherine: Nah, I was never much of a smoker. Just socially. And I never did do it all that correctly, either.
Ruby: Don't make me nag you about quitting. ;)
RB: Ugh! I hate the smell. Lancelot's whole family smokes inside and it drives me up the wall and gives me a horrible headache. I hate it.
Cece: I remain, ever, an enigma. Hah!
Karamia: Lancelot's whole family smokes (and suffers the consequences), so you'd think he'd know better. Nope.
Trouble: Don't ever listen to my youthful antics. Or at least, don't worry too much about them. Youthful exuberance, that's all. ;) And hey, I turned out ok! Maybe.
Craze: Have you tried to quit? I know it's hard.
Buttercup: Amen!
Ten33: Don't show him! I can't believe I glorified smoking. Hah!
Cyndy: Another negative -- premature aging.
Vic: 8! Wow.
And now I need a cig! GREAT!! What a story teller you are girl. I love it! I could actually see a young you brushing that hair out of your eyes.
Now where's my smokes?
I don't smoke either, but this was enough to make me want to start. You could work for the ad council writing pro smoking cigarette ads!
Incredible writing Gypysy. Makes us remember what it was like to be a kid again.
i come from a land of sand, sea, seminoles AND cigarettes! You are delightful in your telling!
Post a Comment
<< Home