Friday, August 04, 2006

Raindrops

After suffering through a drought this spring and summer, we're finally getting our routine rain every afternoon. Though I hate driving in it, I love standing in it. Last night, as I walked out of Publix to put groceries in my car (mmm... Cuban sandwiches and black beans for supper), the rain had slackened enough for me to eschew my umbrella and just walk, slowly, in the rain. It felt so nice. Every time I do this my heart lifts and I feel cleansed. I stood at the trunk of my car, heedless of the people around me trying not to get wet, and lifted my face, smiling, to the sky. It's like a blessing, that rain. A gentle pattering.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm. That gentle rain that's like a benediction - the best kind. I also like walking in it. :) We had some yesterday here and I think it must have been much the same. (Today it's steamy again, bleh.)

8/04/2006 2:39 PM  
Blogger Yo Tambien Te Mando Besos said...

Rain is always something full of energy... unfortunately sometimes it is too much energy. It's nice to walk through a calm rain... cleansing, that was exactly the right word.

8/04/2006 3:15 PM  
Blogger *~*Cece*~* said...

I woke up this morning to the smell of rain and the sound of drops falling from the roof. Ahhh...its a nice change from all the heat we've had.

8/04/2006 3:56 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

I love warm, soft rain. We get it once awhile here in Washington, but not too much. It's always a treat when it comes.

8/04/2006 3:59 PM  
Blogger ME said...

We should all walk in the rain a little more. It reminds me of the innocence of childhood.

8/04/2006 5:22 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

How nice that you can appreciate the rain like that! Good for you! You make me realize how much in nature we avoid. Hmmm...

Michele sent me today. Hope you're having a great day!

8/04/2006 6:17 PM  
Blogger Trouble said...

I LOVE our rainstorms here. I know I'd been bumming earlier this summer because it was so dry and they weren't happening. It's one of the few things I like about the weather here in the summertime, lol.

And I've never minded getting wet in it, either. My kids and I sometimes go out and go puddle hopping in the storms if there isn't any lightening or thunder.

8/04/2006 8:05 PM  
Blogger amy jamison said...

i feel this way about rain too...and my kids and i always run outside to play during a downpour (they're 15 and 18 and we still do it).

rain, to me, is a personal cleansing. snow, when it falls thick and heavy, makes the whole world feel cleaner.

8/04/2006 9:20 PM  
Blogger Walking Barefoot said...

I'm so with you in fact, I was out grocery shopping at the farmers market yesterday, in the rain. Loved, loved, loved it.

8/04/2006 9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walking in the rain is only a distant memory. One that I'm not sure I'll ever see again! At least not for a few months.

8/05/2006 6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We both love that. :) Something purifying about a good rain of any type. Thanks for showing that moment.

Michele sent me.

8/07/2006 2:40 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I love a good summer rain - the kind without the thunder attached to it. Sometimes the kids and I go out and stomp in puddles as the rain still falls upon us. Nothing quite like it.

8/07/2006 3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home