Dressing up
When I was little I played dress-up in my mother's clothes, as most little girls do. In the house where I grew up, my mother had a dressing room off the bedroom she shared with my father. It had her desk and a dressing table, a chaise lounge, and two walk-in closets. Heaven.
I escaped there whenever I could, riffling through Mom's jewelry, accessories, clothes, perfume. She had it all. Gorgeous suits for work (power red). Evening gowns. Silk blouses. Tall boots. Massive cans of hairspray (AquaNet). Huge, sparkly rings. Sweater sets from her college days -- cashmere with delicate beading. Fancy perfume decanters.
There was a sparkly pair of strappy gold high-heeled sandals I put on every time I played dress-up. In those days my mom always wore heels. I'd strap on those heels, sling a gold chain belt around my waist, hook her gold mesh bag over my arm, and sit at her dressing table putting on rouge and bright green eyeshadow and Chanel no. 5. It was 1982.
And now? Gold shoes, gold chain belt, gold mesh bag, green eyeshadow.

11 Comments:
Wow, Gypsy. You've just evoked my childhood dress up memmories! What a nice way to start the morning. And bless the good people at Sephora, they do such good work.
Great site, I'll be back (and Hello from Michele's).
I really wish I had access (still) to my mom's long gloves. She had about a dozen pairs, in all different colors. I so loved wearing them and all her big gaudy sparkly 70s jewelry. :)
I think I may be the only girl in the history of the universe who didn't really dress up in her mom's clothes or try out her mom's makeup. (I managed somehow to be both bookish AND something of a tomboy, if one can be a tomboy and completely unathletic at the same time.) Dressup was fun, but I preferred going for fantasy characters or something. :)
Hated high heels, hated having Stuff on my face. Hated ruffles and flouncy things. In many respects, still do. Oh, the arguments my mom and I had.
"You just want me to dress like a GIRL!" "You ARE a girl!" "So?"
I've mellowed a bit as I've gotten older...I polish my nails occasionally, and enjoy perfume...but I still hate high heels. ;)
I loved playing dress-up when I was a little girl.
I'm not so much lovin' the fact that '80's fashions are coming back in style. Bleah.
I loved dressing up in my mom's stuff except I was doing it in the 70's so I was wearing her 60's stuff. That was cool retro. I dressed the 80's with my very fashionable acid wash jeans with tapered legs and my torn sweatshirts. I skipped the legwarmers but I went through many pairs of high top L.A. Gear sneakers. I also did the Mod thing...if it wasn't black, I didn't wear it and I was preppy. I must have had 15 alligator shirts.
So much fun! I raided my Grandma's closet for all those great '20's shoes and now they are back in style.
I'm another one who didn't play dress up in my mom's clothes. Hmm, maybe that explains why I'm not such a girlie girl, huh?
I used to dress up in my mum's wedding dress and marry my brother.
I was 5 okay. I used to want to marry dad to.
I used to love my mum's long gloves too. And she kept all her rock n' roll dancing dresses from the 50/60's. In fact, my mother kept everything.
heaven is a closet full of beautiful clothes,shoes and accessories...
you know, in my family my dad had the fuller closet and dressed up more often....(i mean, in suits and ties, altho, hey a cross-dressing dad is okay too.)
white patent-leather heels w/ankle straps.
coral-y pink lipstick.
white gloves.
beaded clutch.
my grandmother's costume jewelry from the 1950s (read: big rhinestone brooches)
that's what i wore. *sigh*
thanks for the memories, gypsy.
I remember all that stuff.....from the first time. I think I might be getting old. arrrg!
Post a Comment
<< Home