A long strange trip
Many years ago, when I was young and carefree and living in Arizona, Lancelot and I decided to go to a Phish concert. To make the experience more jam band appropriate, we did shrooms. Now, I'd never done them before, so I trusted my druggie boyfriend to know the right dosage, etc. Hah!
We decided to take the shrooms before we got to the concert, to give them time to kick in. First tragic mistake.
The drive to the venue is about an hour, and they kicked in in TRAFFIC! Holy lord above, no. AND! We had to stop at the ATM to get cash. Imagine how long that took, will you? Buttons! Bleeping! Digital screen!
*sigh*
We finally got to the venue, we parked and made our way to the gates. In the weird world that is drugs and Phish concerts, Lancelot ran into someone from our hometown, on the other side of the country. Then he proceeded to puke in the bushes. Lovely!
And I? Am experiencing a complete emotional split. Gypsy is inside my head somewhere, but she can't communicate and she can't get out. Meanwhile, everyone has turned into an alien. I am completely, 100%, totally, entirely sure that the people around us are all from another planet. As we stand in line at the will-call, I whisper this to Lancelot (because by this time, all I can do is whisper). "They're.... aliens." And he says, "I know, babe. I know."
We get into the venue and find a spot on the grass, and Lancelot has to go puke. Again. Lovely! I'm stuck with all the aliens! And whispering. He gets back from the bathroom an eon later after he'd ralphed on some guy's shoe and we decide, screw this, we can't handle all the aliens, we're leaving.
The concert hasn't even started yet.
Can you say freak out? I can. A lot.
I might not have mentioned this, but I don't like to be out of control. I really don't like it. Weed, alcohol, X... fine. All things I can control myself while under the influence. But this? A whole other thing where Gypsy is still knocking at the door of the attic of my mind trying to get out.
I wanted to stay in the parking lot of the show, where it was quiet(er) and we could still hear the music, but not have to deal with the aliens.
Right.
Lancelot decides we have to leave. Now. I won't go into how wrong, wrong, wrong it was of us to drive ANYWHERE. God, we were stupid. But drive we did.
To a convenience store, because I was freaking right the fuck out and made him stop the car. I wandered around the store talking to myself, trying to communicate with people but basically staring at them in mute anxiety while Lancelot tried to get me in the car. Tried, but failed. Until he picked me up bodily and shoved me in the backseat. And took off. With convenience store patrons, I'm sure, thinking he'd kidnapped me.
We end up at another convenience store with Lancelot begging me to get in the car and drive to Vegas with him where we'll get hitched because he's the pilot and I'm his co-pilot and he wants me to be his co-pilot for life, baby, let's GO!
But I've just had enough and, upright druggie citizen that I am, decide to call the cops on myself. I was convinced that Gypsy was never coming back. Lancelot, no doubt thinking this crazy woman is going to get us in some serious trouble, starts walking home. Home is an hour away. And somehow, he's lost his shoes.
The convenience store clerk calls the fire department for me, and they send a truck out to check on me. By the time they get there, I'm coming down and really, really, reallly embarrased. And they are HOT. I mean fireman hot. So hot.
But they're nice, and they kind of laugh at me as there are lots of Phishies out tonight, and they go get my car (which is, somehow, on the other side of the street with the alarm going off). One of the firemen tells me, with a knowing and intent look, that he put my sunglasses in my center console. Yeah, the stash was in the console! D'oh.
They get me a cab ride home, but by this time, I'm completely sober and worried about Lancelot. I have no idea where he is, shoeless, in a bad part of town.
When the cab pulls up to our apartment, he's getting out of another cab in front of me. He, too, is completely sober, but his feet are torn and blistered. He'd walked something like 20 blocks before being able to hail a cab.
We went inside, hunkered down in the bed, screwed, laughed at ourselves, and cried.
I've never tripped again.

11 Comments:
Ugh. I hate being out of control, too. But sometimes you just have to learn the hard way, no?
Glad you survived; Happy Friday!
I've never been around anyone who did shrooms, but my hub was (before we met) and afterward he said it was something he'd neverever try. After reading your story I see why! ;-) (Made a great story for you to tell later tho!)
Wow. That is a heck of a story. :) I have never tripped myself, but am always interested in others' reports of the experience. (A fellow I know who has tried shrooms said they were "too cerebral" whatever that means. :))
Actually the closest I have ever come to tripping was in university when someone came up to me as I was filling my car with gas and asked in a low, urgent murmur "Do you trip?"
I was nonplussed. Since my brain was completely busy with other, non-drug related thoughts, I parsed the sentence as "DID you trip?" Which, since I was still upright and all, made no sense to me.
My blank look prompted the pusher (for I guess it was one of the species) to ask again. "Do you trip?"
This time, I figured it out. "OH! YOU MEAN DRUGS!" I said loudly, feeling vaguely relieved that I had understood what they were saying. Then, in a bright, chipper voice: "No thanks!"
The pusher, already looking quite uncomfortable at the volume with which I had just announced his profession, scuttled away. :)
Anyway. That was super interesting! Thanks for sharing. :)
I have never shroomed before, I too hate being out of control, and after reading that story I am never, ever going to even think about trying.
I like that even in the midst of your bad tripping you and Lancelot stuck together.
OMG i have tears streaming down my face. that was the funniest thing i've read since that story miss doxie posted about giving her dogs a bath.
i am so linking to this post today.
do you have any more hilarious drug stories???
Great story.
I've had to find my personal line, even with alcohol. I don't like to get to the point where I lose my self control and do stupid shit.
i have been to a phish concert and i have done shrooms. years apart.
when i did the shrooms i saw a baby in a box in the sky and i thought the world was an amazingly beautiful place. still, i never did them again. i prefer legal drugs such the corona light i am currently drinking.
what i remember most about the phish concert was the vacuum cleaner song. i suppose you don't remember a vacuum cleaner being on stage during your phish concert experience?
Oh man this brings about memories. And now it feels good to look back and laugh.
Unlike you I very much loved being out of my mind and laughed for hours when the tic-tacs being tossed around had faces and line danced on the floor where they fell. That was just one of the trip stories.
That was then, this is now and while I can look back with fond memories I know the destruction as well and consider myself lucky.
I still love music concerts only now I remember them in a different (straight) mind. I was quite amazed to still find they had an allure. Now instead of being the trippie I'm the voyeur.
Have to admit to never 'shrooming' or any other hallucinogen...but I certainly have done my share of stupid shit under the influence of alcohol, and yes, sometimes you do learn something...like NOT doing THAT again. :)
Megan: Definitely had to learn the hard way on that one.
DebR: It's definitely... out there.
RB: Too cerebral is a great way to describe it, actually. That's hilarious about your pusher experience.
Buttercup: Well, we stuck together until he decided to wander off barefoot.
VB: Thanks for the link! Always glad to entertain. ;)
Trouble: Exactly. I don't like to cross that line. Well, not anymore anyway.
M: I don't remember much music from the concert, and I definitely don't remember a vacuum. We must have left too early for that. Although for the longest time I couldn't listen to Phish at all without getting all skeeved out.
Jade: I think had I been in a more secure and secluded environment I would have enjoyed it more. As it was, there was just too much sensory stimulation. Too much going on.
Cyndy: Exactly. :)
Oh my gosh that was the funiest story I've read in a LOOOONG time. I'm laughing hysterically.
Post a Comment
<< Home