
I recently discovered that they're making a
sequel to
Clerks.
Clerks came out when I was a freshman in college, and I was working, coincidentally, at the best little video store in the panhandle. Or at least I thought it was. Because, seriously? This was the best job I've ever had. Yeah, the pay was shit. And yeah, my boss was a perverted old man. But so what!? I got to sit around watching videos, bullshitting with customers all day, and partying all night. My boss had deals with all the retailers in the area so we got free liquor, pastries, shoes, lord knows what all, in exchange for video rentals.
The porn didn't hurt either. Our store was one of two in town that rented porn. We had this sleazy little room in back where the pervs (and soccer moms) would go to get their skeezy vids. It was the best entertainment ever, watching these people try to be all furtive about it. They of course didn't realize that after hours we were all plugging in the porn while we closed up shop and drank beer and snuck out back to take a few tokes. And the boss really did order the nastiest of porn movies. Now, I like porn. Always have. But some of it's just plain awful butt blasting and lactating, and this is the kind of stuff he'd order. I'd have to go in and pick out the better, higher quality vids.
So, when Clerks came out, I was living that life. I could relate to Randal and those guys so much. People actually did come in and stand in front of the new releases sign and ask where the new releases were. And the scene where Randal orders all the porn with the mom and little girl standing right there wanting Happy Scrappy Hero Pup? So could have happened at our store.
I had no more responsibilities at this time in my life than making decent enough grades in college to not piss my parents off, working the easiest and most enjoyable job on the planet, and imbibing all sorts of intoxicants and looking for cute boys to hook up with. That is what Clerks was to me, in 1994.
Now? It's just a fond memory. To see that they're making a sequel is so... weird. Dante and Randal 10 years later. Still working at the convenience and video stores. Jay and Silent Bob standing around outside looking for chicks and selling weed (although I hear Jay doesn't say "Snootchie Bootchies" at all in the entire film).
As much as I loved my life then, thank god I'm not doing it now. I can't wait to see how their lives resolve at 30. Hell, I'm pretty interested to see how my own life will resolve at 31.
Dante: I'm stuck in this pit, working for less than slave wages. Working on my day off, the goddamn steel shutters are closed, I deal with every backward ass fuck on the planet. I smell like shoe polish. My ex-girlfriend is catatonic after fucking a dead guy. And my present girlfriend has sucked 36 dicks.
Randal: 37
12 Comments:
Oh, man, I have so many retail stories myself... :) For me it was a bookstore rather than video, and the drug of choice was coffee, but there are some things about the retail experience that are more or less the same everywhere...
Customer: "Hey, we've can't find "To Kill A Mockingbird" ANYWHERE."
Me: "That's odd. Could've sworn we had at least three copies..."
Customer: "I know! And we've been looking in the Ts for 20 minutes!"
Me: ...
Or perhaps:
Customer: "I'm looking for a book."
Me: "Okay. What can you tell me about it?"
Customer: "Um, it's purple..."
Me: ...
RB: I worked at a massive bookstore chain after leaving the video store! I loved it, too, but on a different level. I will never forget all the dang Playboys we'd find in the men's room. Ugh! Who does that!?
Gypsy: Creepy guys, usually. ;) Our store only had a, um, "one-seater" washroom for each sex. Sometimes, guys would be in there for maybe 10 minutes. Guaranteed, when they came out there would be a Maxim or something hidden in the diaper - changing table. Sigh. (The Playboys we had to keep locked up, since in Texas you have to be super strict about who might potentially have access to such things.)
Hmm! I missed out on a lot in my college days it seems! From Michelle's.
You took the words right out of my mouth (or from my fingers, I guess). We are the same age and I too...could VERY much relate to Clerks when it came out.
Then I moved in with...and married...one of the biggest Kevin Smith fans EVER..no, seriously....ever.
The thing I find a little bizarre about this film...is the Kevin Smith (who is without a doubt a cool fella...despite a few seriously questionnable choices...um....Jersey Girl?)....has said that is his all time favorite movie that he's made.
And Rosario Dawson... I somehow can't see her fitting into that vibe...but then again...if you told me (6 years ago) that I'd know all the lines to Mallrats by now..I'd say you were on crack....
My favorite college job was working in a video store, too. Minus the porn and booze on the job, it still was one of the best gigs, ever. Watching movies all night, b-sing with customers, and getting paid shit wages. I saw every movie ever released in the 80s.
Well I will definitely show my age here...but when I was in college, there weren't any VHS tapes yet.
HA
One time we sneaked into a porn movie with a scarf and sunglasses.
HAHAAAAAAAA
The part in the commercial where Jay is playing with his nipples and dancing a bit for the camera...lol, every time it gets me to stop and watch. I think it's strangly attractive. hmm does that make me weird??
ahhh...i am so glad i am not the only adult woman who wants to see the second Clerks movie....
I am close to 40 and working a desk job, but my favorite job is still being a clerk at a bookstore or a library ... I was a geekier version of the guys in the movie, but still I got the point.
Clerks was and still is one of my favorite movies. Anyone working some type of counter job can relate. I was a cashier/usher at a movie theater when Clerks came out. I completely related. Standing under a marquee that says "Clueless 7:10pm" with some dipshit asking "Is this the 7:10 showing of Clueless?"
Sigh.. yes I can relate. I anticipate the sequel.
i LOVED clerks. my very first job was at a video store. i loved that i could pick out whatever movie i wanted and watch it while i worked. 99% of the time, i picked Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail.
and yes, the depiction of retail is sooo accurate. don't even get me started on department store makeup counters.
if you ever waited tables (like i did for many many years), Waiting is what you need to see. What Clerks did for video/convenience store works, Waiting does for restaurant employees. it was very very accurate...
i wish all the obnoctious customers of the world were required to watch these movies so they would FINALLY understand what a pain in the ass they are.
my favorite part in Clerks is where that Russian guy sings about "Making F--K Berserker" and the girl says, "Did he just say 'making f--k'?"
aaaahhh, that part kills me. i too will want to see the sequel. i don't know about rosario either....
Sue: At least you missed the freshman 15? And walks of shame?
Wordnerd: I'm iffy on Rosario, too. We'll just have to wait and see.
Trouble: Yet another thing we have in common!
Cyndy: See, I don't think I've ever been to a porn theater. A live sex show? Yes. But not a porn theater.
Kara: Now that you've said that, I find myself wanting Jay. Like I need to find any more men sexy!
M: Join the club! :)
Kat: Thank goodness I no longer work retail. I don't think I could handle it anymore. My bullshit meter is far too sensitive now.
VB: Yes!! I love Monty Python. Love it. And I love that part of Clerks, too. Too funny.
Post a Comment
<< Home