Tuesday, July 11, 2006

100 Books About Me

Was doing a little blog browsing the other day and stumbled upon this fantastic idea at Booklish. I'm stealing it. These are the books that stay with me, that I read again and again. 1. Gone With the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell 2. Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry 3. As Hot as It Was You Ought to Thank Me, by Nanci Kincaid 4. Fay, by Larry Brown 5. The Dark Sister, by Graham Joyce 6. Meely LaBauve, by Ken Wells 7. The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley 8. The Wheel of Time series, by Robert Jordan 9. Through a Glass Darkly, by Karleen Koen 10. The Commitments, by Roddy Doyle 11. Gloria, by Keith Maillard 12. Forever Amber, by Kathleen Winsor 13. The Alienist, by Caleb Carr 14. Eragon, by Christopher Paolini 15. The Journeyer, by Gary Jennings 16. The Wild Mother, Elizabeth Cunningham 17. Bones series, Carolyn Haines 18. Harry Potter, by JK Rowling 19. Kingston by Starlight, by Christopher John Farley 20. The Southern Vampire Mysteries, by Charlaine Harris 21. The Grounding of Group 6, by Julian F. Thompson 22. Where the Sidewalk Ends, by Shel Silverstein 23. Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe, by Bill Bryson 24. Wit'ch series, by James Clemons 25. Me Talk Pretty One Day, by David Sedaris 26. The Color Purple, Alice Walker 27. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, by 28. Watermelon, by Marian Keyes 29. Bridget Jones' Diary, by Helen Fielding 30. The Black Swan, by Day Taylor 31. Joe, by Larry Brown 32. Slut! Growing up Female With a Bad Reputation, by Leora Tanenbaum 33. Symphony of Ages series, Elizabeth Haydon 34. Trainspotting, by Irvine Welsh 35. Florida Road Kill, by Tim Dorsey 35. A Feast of Snakes, by Harry Crews 36. The Sweet Potatoe Queens' Book of Love, by Jill Conner Browne 37. Sieze the Fire, Laura Kinsale 38. They Call Her Dana, by Jennifer Wilde 39. Angel in Scarlet, by Jennifer Wilde 40. Shanna, Kathleen Woodiwiss 41. the Beloved series, by Mallory Burgess 42. Speaks the Nightbird, by Robert McGammon 43. Moss Rose, by Day Taylor 44. The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett 45. Now Face to Face, by Karleen Koen 46. Moll Flanders, by Daniel Defoe 47. Sarum, by Edward Rutherford 48. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, by John Berendt 49. Bitter Eden, by Sharon Salvato 50. Getting Over It, by Anna Maxted 51. Youth in Revolt, by CD Paine 52. Lights Along the Shore, by Diane Austell 53. The Oracle Glass, by Judith Merkle Riley 54. Instance of the Fingerpost, by Iain Pears 55. Skipped Parts, by Tim Sandlin 56. The Rain Maiden, by Jill M. Phillips 57. Yellow Jack, by Josh Russell 58. Interview with the Vampire, by Anne Rice 59. The Witching Hour, by Anne Rice 60. The Probable Future, by Alice Hoffman 61. Raptor, by Gary Jennings 62. Dracula, by Bram Stoker 63. Back Roads, by Tawni O'Dell 64. Bag of Bones, by Stephen King 65. Through a Dark Mist, by Marsha Canham 66. Quincunx, by Charles Palliser 67. Slammerkin, by Emma Donoghue 68. Sunne in Splendour, by Sharon Kay Penman 69. The Other Boleyn Girl, by Philippa Gregory 70. The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Ecco 71. The Tooth Fairy, by Graham Joyce 72. Chasing the Devil's Tail, by David Fulmer 73. Ain't She Sweet, by Susan Elizabeth Philips 74. Sea Star, by Pamela Jekel 75. Fanny, by Erica Jong 76. The Castle of Otranto, by Horace Walpole 77. How to Make Love Like A Porn Star, by Jenna Jameson 78. Carolina Moon, by Nora Roberts 79. Crossing Blood, by Nanci Kincaid 80. Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov 81. Beloved, by Toni Morrison 82. The World According to Garp, by John Irving 83. The Once and Future King, by T.H. White 84. Goddesses in Every Woman, by Jean Shinoda Bolen 85. The Hero With a Thousand Faces, by Joseph Campbell 86. The Truth About Love, by Pat Love 87. You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation, by Deborah Tannen 88. Promiscuities: The Secret Struggle for Womanhood, by Naomi Wolf 89. The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle 90. Brass, by Helen Walsh 91. Eat Me, by Linda Jaivin 92. Delta of Venus, by Anais Nin 93. The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life, by Laurie Notaro 94. Valley of the Dolls, by Jacqueline Susann 95. Flowers in the Attic, by VC Andrews 96. Shogun, by James Clavell 97. Red Branch, by Morgan Llywelyn 98. Seven Waters trilogy, by Juliet Marillier 99. The Witches of Eileanan series, by Kate Forsyth 100. Drifters, by James A. Michener

17 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Interesting list. Nice mix. I love that you have Anais Nin and V.C. Andrews, Jenna Jameson and Toni Morrison. Beautiful. I love it when someone has as varied tastes as I do.

I see you've listed Speaks The Nightbird. This book has been recommended to me twice. And now it's on your list. Apparently someone is trying to tell me something, no?

7/11/2006 3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, lots of books I haven't read yet on this list! That means more Potentially Good Books to check out! Woo hoo! *busily adds a few to the Notebook Of Things To Read*

Some of my favorites on this list as well...And hey, someone else who has actually heard of Judith Merkle Riley! Did you read The Master of All Desires?

7/11/2006 3:57 PM  
Blogger Gypsy said...

Megan, I might have been the one to suggest it to you! :) It really is great.

Rampant Bicycle, I have read that one. In fact, I believe I've read all of hers. Wonderful stuff.

7/11/2006 3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a GREAT idea! There's so many books on your list that I've loved, too, #s 1, 18, 20, 23, 26, 58, 62, 82, 96...what a wonderful list!

7/11/2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger chrysalis said...

Cool, I may steal this if for no other reason than I can type my list at work and it looks like I'm typing.

7/11/2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Cool meme! I may have to do this one at some point.

7/11/2006 8:41 PM  
Blogger (M)ary said...

oh...i am going to print your list and hit the library. i am always looking for recommendations.
there are about 10 books on your list that made me say "oh, yeah, me too!"

7/11/2006 11:51 PM  
Blogger Walking Barefoot said...

Wow, that's quite a list, some I've read and many which sound very interesting. I'll have to keep coming back to this one.

7/12/2006 12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to snag this for my blog too - although it is definitely going to have to be a work in progress! Excellent list.

7/12/2006 1:34 AM  
Blogger shpprgrl said...

Interesting list! I read the FLowers in the Attic book. It creeped me out....but it was a good read.

7/12/2006 2:39 PM  
Blogger Trouble said...

It's almost scary how many favorites we have in common. Probable Future and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil are on my top ten all-time favorite list. I also love Umberto Ecco and Marion Zimmer Bradley (although I liked her Darkover Series better than her Avalon books). Coolness. Now I have to see if there are others I need to read. *(I've also read Bridget 1 & 2 about 20 times each, and I still laugh my ass off every single time).

7/13/2006 3:56 PM  
Blogger Trouble said...

So now I have to know: have you tried the George R.R. Martin series? Or anything by Jacqueline Carey?

7/13/2006 3:57 PM  
Blogger Buttercup said...

OMG what an awseome idea. I need to check this out later when I have more time to study your list. I'm sure it will give me some good ideas.

7/13/2006 9:12 PM  
Blogger Gypsy said...

Y'all, feel free to steal this idea. After all, I stole it myself. I'd love to read everyone else's lists. I'm such a book junkie and always looking for more reads.

Trouble: I've never read Martin's stuff, but I've attempted Carey on a friend's suggestion. I couldn't get into the one I tried. Perhaps I'll have to try again?

7/14/2006 2:37 PM  
Blogger Trouble said...

Martin is about ten zillion times better than Jordan.

(although the fourth book, which I'm reading at present, is a little slow)...

I liked Carey from the get-go, so I can't say if you should give it another go or not.

7/14/2006 7:18 PM  
Blogger Highlights from two years of blogging. said...

hey, I demand my idea back! LOL, not really!!! ;)

I'm glad you liked my idea- you have a great list, I must read some more of these! :)
I'm not even halfway finished with my list yet lol... xxx

7/19/2006 7:45 PM  
Blogger Suburban Island said...

Thanks so much for stopping by Suburban Island today. I'm glad you did because it gave me a chance to visit your blog. I really enjoyed this list of books you shared. You and I are probably the only people who have actually read the Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole!

7/21/2006 3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home