Where I am from
{Lovely idea taken from In a Big Way}
I am from the coast, from Coca Cola and canopied roads.
I am from bricks and swimming pools and buganvilia and baby grands.
I am from the sticker burrs, the Spanish moss.
I am from tailgating and hell raising, from Pete and Re-Pete and Da-da.
I am from Bloody Marys and stubborn pride.
From keep your elbows off the table and yes, ma'am and it'll put hair on your chest.
I am from Easter dresses and Christmas trees but no prayer. Stand up, sit down, kneel.
I'm from seven hills, collard greens, and corn bread.
From the fraternity shootout, the itching powder, the naked motorcycle ride, and the paintbrushes.
I am from the farm where tobacco no longer grows, the stadium, the field party, the sandbar, the place where manners are important but a sense of humor is vital.

9 Comments:
Love it! What a great job you did. Where did you grow up?
wow, that was beautiful actually!
great idea, I might steal it myself.
Oh, I liked that description very much!
My son is now in North Carolina on vacation. Is that near where you're from?
Michele sent me and I'm glad to visit! Have a great day!
That's an awesome poem! I may have to play too, if I can put my thinking cap on tomorrow.
such a great poem! :) where did you grow up??
I grew up in the panhandle of North Florida.
Hey I love that!
i loved this so much, that i tried it myself and it came out much better than i thought it would!
thanks for sharing! :)
Wow, that was excellent. I'll have to give it a try.
Post a Comment
<< Home