Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Steamy

Today I cannot think. I almost hit a car pulling out of my driveway because I wasn't paying attention. It was too early. Too bright. My eyes too fuzzy with sleep. I'm not sleeping well. It could be the twelve million gallons of Coke Zero I've been guzzling lately. And it's hot. So hot. The kind of hot that just saps your energy and refuses to give it back no matter how many frosty beverages you drink, no matter how high you crank the A/C. It's the kind of hot that laughs in the face of ice. Why use it, it's just going to melt faster than you can drink. And since it's Florida, it's hot and muggy, where breathing is as much exertion as I can handle. And even that is like breathing underwater. I hear the thunder rumbling outside, which means it's time for our daily thunderstorm. Here's hoping it cools things off a little bit, rustles up some sort of breeze. H and I used to say that we're not lazy, we're languid, and that's how I feel today. Stretched out and wrung out and limp. Drape me over something because I can't hold myself up. Put a cool rag on my head and a longneck in my hand and turn the world down low.

10 Comments:

Blogger shpprgrl said...

I feel your pain. Hot weather reminds why I like the cool indoors.

6/27/2006 8:35 PM  
Blogger (M)ary said...

try this herb called Valerian if you are having trouble sleeping. (-:

6/28/2006 12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After 15 years of life in Biloxi, MS, and what I refer to as "The 3 H's", I got outta there! The 3 H's are heat, humidity and hurricanes. I know the heat of which you speak. Nothing dries, not even your eyelashes!! I say all you can do is eat cold boiled shrimp and drink a margarita.

6/28/2006 12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I know that feeling. That's the "lie on the linoleum and don't move a muscle because it's too hot for that" feeling. It wasn't until I was in university that we got air conditioning at my house back in Texas.

Be that as it may...you could always try and get a "dehumidifier" for your home. I believe those exist now...

Barring that? Popsicles. Lots of 'em. And all the water you can drink. :)

6/28/2006 12:21 PM  
Blogger Marisa said...

Ohh, I know that kind of hot. I've visited my grandparents in FL in July before. Luckily, while Chicago can get just like that, we've been hit with a "cold" spell - 70 degree weather.

Thanks for your visit.

6/28/2006 2:25 PM  
Blogger Walking Barefoot said...

I remember my days in the south and while I love summer, I don't like that kind of summer. We have friends that actually chose to visit Florida this week. I thought they were crazy - that's a winter trip. Floridians need to head north in the summer.

6/28/2006 4:23 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

It's been in the 90's here and it only makes my damn sunburn hurt worse! I feel ya, really...

6/28/2006 8:18 PM  
Blogger Tia said...

aaaaaaaaah yesssssss. I know the feeling all too well. Really, summer here is as oppressive as winter up north - minus having to dress in layers and scraping ice off of the car.

I haven't mowed the lawn lately because I hate being up before 7 am. =/

Thanks for your visit to my blog yesterday!

6/29/2006 12:59 PM  
Blogger Virginia Belle said...

Yes! That's it exactly! like breathing underwater! people who don't live in the hot n humid south just don't get it.

cold showers, 100% cotton clothing and popsicles. they are key. oh, and no bras.

good call on the popsicles, RB!

6/30/2006 8:08 PM  
Blogger Paticus said...

Amen to the heat here in the Hassee...We just moved from Chicago, and I thought we knew heat, but...YIKES !!!
And ain't Coke Zero a tasty beverage ?

7/05/2006 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home