"Ages of experience have taught us that the commitment of a husband and wife to love and to serve one another promotes the welfare of children and the stability of society," Bush said in his weekly radio address. "Government, by recognizing and protecting marriage, serves the interests of all."
--W on the proposed marriage amendment
Bullshit.
It's a worthless piece of legislation that only serves to discriminate. It's appalling and, in my view, un-American. Americans should blaze a trail in striking down laws that discrimate. "The Constitution should secure equality, not restrict it." (from The Human Rights Campaign's
Top 10 Reasons for Marriage Equality)

More reading:
Twelve Reasons Same-Sex Marriage Will Ruin Society
Freedom to Marry
Lambda Legal
Same-Sex Marriage on Wikipedia
6 Comments:
I'm with you and I love the ribbon. Can I borrow it?
Sure, although I stole it from someplace else. ;) Because apparently I think theft is American, too.
It is UN-AMERICAN.
IMHO, government needs to get out of the marriage business. Grant civil unions like a business contract, and allow churches to perform the religious ceremonies they desire. This isn't about morality, or adam/eve, it's about fairness for all adult Americans.
Just when Canadians thought they had the fight won....we went and elected W's cousin North of the Border (our new Prime Minister...he loves himself some Bush, no lie).
Although same sex marriage is completely legal (and has been for at least a year) there are once again ruminations of it being put to a free vote in our House of Commons.
I don't get why people disagree with this. It doesn't take ANYTHING away from their own marriage/relationship/partnership. It's like trying to use the same argument for denying things to women, black people, etc... It's about inclusion.
Denying rights to people based solely on their sexual orientation (or their color, or their sex, or their race) is discrimination and it's wrong. Plain and simple.
People are all over the board on this one, I have to say that marriage is a union between two people that love each other and want to commite their lives to the betterment of the other person. Why does it have to be a man and a woman? I didn't vote for the monster we have as a president and the fact that he is trying to force his ideals on the country scares me. Why is it marriage is only help up as sacred when someone thinks that someone else is going to infringe on their fun. It reminds me of a child who tosses away a play thing but grabs it back jelously only when someone else wants it.
Post a Comment
<< Home