Flights of Fancy
In glittering summer twilights, flickering lightening bugs enchanted me. Their blinking, glowing forms peeped through darkened bushes. A delicate flash, and then gone. My brother and I would catch them in mason jars, rising up on tippy toes to catch the ones that fluttered high and far. Mom poked holes in the tops of our jars, and we'd watch for a few minutes--the jars like organic lanterns, pulsing with greenish light as we gambolled about the yard--before we set the bugs free.
As a child, my favorite books and movies and fantasies were about unicorns and fairies and wizards and monsters and witches. They still are. I'm bewitched by that place that we all go to, where enchantment meets reality, where the lines blur and things that can't be real become more real than the things we've known all along.
Perhaps I am tempted further and longer than others my age by magic, by the inbetween. I should have shrugged all this off long ago, eschewing fantasy for practicality. But I can't; and I don't want to. My head is often full of candy floss and dreams and imaginings. I'm fascinated by the other side, either dark and grim and full of teeth or spangled with glitter and fairy wings.
It's an escape, but it's also an embrace. I embrace what might be just outside of sight, just beyond reach, where you have to go up on tippy toe.
{My entry for Blogging4Books.}

23 Comments:
I adored this entry. I also must ask, are we really supposed to grow out of that stage, the one of beliving that perhaps fantasy might just be out there, within reach? I hope not, because I still believe and I am too, facinated by both the light and the dark of it, always have been and probably always will be.
I haven't outgrown it either (as you might guess by the name of my blog)...just last Saturday I was fascinated watching a child trying to catch a lightning bug, then gently cupping it til it escaped.
She looked so sad...
Hey, I'm glad you did it too. Great post!
Don't ever outgrow this! Fantasies feed wonder, and we should never stop wondering, wandering.
Hello there! Michele sent me. :) Congratulations on being site of the day!
Congratulations on being Michele's 'site of the day'.
Well done, SOTD over at michele's.
Have you ever read the Dragon Prince series by Melanie Rawn? I read these as an adult and had to remind myself occasionally that it really WAS fantasy! Like Janet said, I don't think you outgrow it...which I am grateful for! I'm here from Michele's today!
Congrats on being Michele's site of the day. I say don't give up on flights of fancy and fantasy - it'll always be worthwhile!
Have a great day!
Congrats on being Michele's site of the day. Delightful reading..... Sorry to hear about your hair, glad Alberto didn't unleash his full fury on you.
Here from Michele's.
hi there. Michele sent me today. Congrats on being Site of the Day.
What a beautiful image you've created! I am off to find the tops to my mason jars so we too can capture a bit of summer magic tonight. Thanks.
*has fond nostalgic memories of fireflies and mason jars and wisteria*
Lovely post, Gypsy. Congrats on being Michele's site of the day...I'll be back! I think we have some things in common. :) (I am startled to find that someone else always finds herself imagining falling down stairs when walking down them.)
That brought back such good memories of catching fire flies with my brother. Where have they all gone?? I don't seem to ever see them anymore. I loved how they came at dusk. Dusk is such a magical time - like what you where talking about where the line between real and not real blurs. I really enjoyed your post.
I have not outgrown it either. Perhaps when I die.
Hello Michele sent me!
Good stuff.... I'm definatly addng you to my blog roll and will come back frequently.
Hello, Michele sent me.
Congrats on being Site of the Day. Wonderful post and don't ever, ever, let go of that magic that envelopes you. To do so would only diminish the flicker of those magical fireflies.
Michele sent me......
SOTD, good for you! Here again from Michele's!
congrats! site of the day!!! michele sent me!
Congrats on the SOTD honor. Michele sent me.
I'm glad you entered B4B. It's a great entry!
Stopping by courtesy of Michele today. Congrats on being the SOTD!
I love this! I hope you are always intrigued with these things...and I hope I am too! One's imagination can create all sorts of wonderful other-worldy things and Thank God for that, I say!
Here from Michele's today and lovely to meet & greet you!
Lovely post. Don't ever let go of that magic : it makes life a little less boring...
Michele sent me. Congrats on being SOTD ! Have a great week !
Looks like you're still taking those drugs aye?
Great post, left me all happy and wanting to take my shoes off.
Why wont my post post!!! Grrr
I am still completely mesmerized and addicted to all the fantasy "stuff" -- and I am in my 40's -- keeps ya young. Here via Michele's today -- congrats on SOTD
Post a Comment
<< Home