Friday, June 02, 2006

Extravaganza

In college a boy had a crush on me. (Possibly more than one did, but I remember him specifically.) He was sweet. A total druggy with no ambition and not at all my type, but sweet and very handsome and dumb as a box of rocks. (The druggy part had little to do with him not being my type. In fact, that might have been pretty attractive to me at the time.) For whatever reason he thought I was just fandamntastic. I tried to disillusion him, but he was having none of it. He started calling me Extravaganza. I don't know why, but apparently he thought it fit. I would walk in the bar and he would sigh, clap a hand over his heart, slump backwards a bit like he'd become suddenly weak, and moan, "Extravagaaaanzaaaa!" then give me a hug. Sadly, I was never able to return the feelings, and finally after a few gently thwarted attempts at wooing me, he moved on to less (or more? I like to think less, though) Extravagant pastures. I miss him. My days would be a lot brighter if every time I walked in a room someone exclaimed "Extravaganza!!" Sure, I'd feel a bit like a drag queen, but still. It's nice to be adored. And if people decide to start throwing rose petals at my feet, too, who am I to stop them?

8 Comments:

Blogger Trouble said...

My boyfriend wakes me up every morning with "Good morning, Princess." I'm one of those northeast side of our city moms with two kids and a lot of sweater sets who spends her Saturdays at soccer games and mowing her yard...in short, the least princess-like gal you're likely to encounter.

But I still like hearing it. It's hokey, but I never get sick of it. I think, in her heart, every woman wants to be someone's Extravaganza. Or Princess. Or Babydoll, or some other pet name that makes us feel exquisite and loved.

The rose petals would be a nice touch, too.

6/02/2006 1:20 PM  
Blogger Gypsy said...

L has lovely pet names for me that he uses all the time (Sunshine being a favorite), but it would be nice if strangers and the general populace recognized my glory and did the same. You know, just because.

I promise I'm not really that self-centered. Mostly.

6/02/2006 2:29 PM  
Blogger Virginia Belle said...

my boyfriend calls me Stinky.

my brothers call me Maggot.

i can not relate to this post at all.

6/02/2006 7:50 PM  
Blogger Virginia Belle said...

EXTRAVAGANZAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

how was that? did i sound like him?

6/02/2006 7:50 PM  
Blogger Gypsy said...

Well, when L is ticked at me he calls me shithead, so...

And yeah, you sounded just like him. For a second I thought you were a young black man. ;)

6/02/2006 7:53 PM  
Blogger (M)ary said...

When I was 20 a friend of my younger brother had a huge crush on me. He took me to the play CATs!He just adored me and I was freaked out. I thought a 16 year old was too young for a 20 year old. Now, at 39, a four year age difference seems lovely as does the idea of someone adoring me!

6/04/2006 3:44 PM  
Blogger Gypsy said...

Ha!! No, it wasn't the Pelvis. It's the guy who brought me roses...

6/05/2006 1:28 PM  
Blogger Buttercup said...

My boyfriend calls me "munchkin" which I have grown accustomed to. But sometimes he just gets lazy and calls me "munchk" which is a bit odd I'm sure to outsiders when they chance to overhear it.

6/06/2006 1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home