
I went to middle school with a girl who had the perfect ponytail. It was long, shiny, perfectly straight, and it swayed when she walked. I can't tell you how many times I tried to get my ponytail to sway, but I ended up looking like I was holding in a turd and rushing to the bathroom. She also wore perfectly tied ribbons in her hair. Ribbons! I could never have pulled that look off, but I really wanted to.
Now that I think about it, I also had 14 pairs of Guess jeans, one that was patterned with black lace, one that was pastel swirled, and I even had a red pair. All with matching jackets.
I used to take so much time on my appearance. Literally hours were spent with a curling iron and Aqua Net. I never went in for the big bangs, but I did have some of my bangs curled back and some curled forward. Who thought that would be a good look?
Still. Even though I looked ridiculous, I took
time to look ridiculous. I remember when all my underwear had matching bras, and I would wear them together. What a concept. Now I'm lucky if the elastic is still good, and I can't be bothered with clashing undergarments.
It takes me 20 minutes to get ready in the morning, not including the shower. What happened to primping and pampering? I just don't do it all that much anymore, but I feel like I should. Don't get me wrong; I don't go out looking all disheveled or anything. During those 20 minutes I get a lot accomplished, including some flat ironing, and I NEVER leave the house without makeup.
So why do I feel like I should be setting aside time to do all this... stuff. Moisturizing and plucking and waxing and painting and polishing and deep conditioning and lord knows what all else. Why do I feel like I should be doing more "maintenance"? Why did I catch myself wondering if I could pay someone to come up with a maintenance schedule? Like, pluck every morning, shave on Tuesdays and Thursdays, remember to use eye cream, it's time to get your hair done, use that pumice stone, do something different with your hair...
I
still want that ponytail, that gleaming perfect sweep. But my hair just doesn't do that. No matter what I try, I get wispy little stragglers around my temples and flippy little squiggles.
I'm not cut out for smooth and glossy.
10 Comments:
I think primping is part of "pampering" and we should do it for ourselves once in awhile!
Here from Michele, hello!
Stopping by to say hello....
I love this post and I simply adore your written voice.
As you know I just wrote a small post on being "high-maintenance." Proving of course that great minds do think alike.
I am not certain if you are unable to pull off smooth and glossy, however, I am VERY certain that you can pull off wonderful and engaing posts which are wonderfully smooth and glossy to read.
Have a glorious day!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I think "pampering" is a good concept and I'd really like to do it but I somehow never get around to it. Actually (I think you're going to laugh) every year I make a resolution to become more girly and indulge this innate side of myself more often. I actually write this down....every year. However it seems that every year, I indulge less and seem to be constantly streamlining my beauty (if they even be called that) routines. I wonder why that is?
I do vow however to do better! I vow to work on "smooth"
As a guy this stuff perplexes me. I don't see the difference between primped and un-primped.
I don't think you HAVE to do anything, If your comfortable with how you are then it's all good to go. But, if you're feeling like you should be doing more, then maybe you should take a day out of the week just to pamper yourself, that's the key word "pamper" we all need it now and then.
P.S., thanks for the link, i really enjoyed it.
K.
You lucky girl. I have tried ages to perfect the "whispy straggler" look. Romantic and victorian in my view. But alas.
No matter what I do, my hair always looks like a giant mushroom perched on my head.
O agree with leslie. sometimes the urge to take care of ourselves is overwhelming. I like how you said you took time to look ridiculous. That is so true!
I don't know...spa treatments and thinks of that ilk seem a lot more pampering to me than taking the time to flat iron my curly hair straight (which I spent two hours in the morning doing when I had a unfortunate long hair/bob moment in high school).
The most enjoyable of the few daily mantenience type things I do has got to be the make up.
I have great fun getting artistic with the eyeliner.
i don't even want to think about how much time i spend getting ready. it's probably an absurd amount of time. i make the girl in your picture look like an amateur. i own about 150 lipsticks, for pete's sake! having scaly skin or unplucked brows drives me batty!
like you, in the morning before work, i do bare bones. but if i'm going out or on a date, no one will see me for like three hours.
if it makes you feel any better, my hair won't do anything EXCEPT smooth and glossy. after 27 years of it, i'm pretty sick of it. trust me, you would be too.
if you are having a hard time finding time to primp, do what i do-- primp during commercials while you watch tv. i do my nails, or scrub my feet or pluck my brows. you'd be surprised at what you can do. another good time is to do stuff while you are on the phone.
Post a Comment
<< Home