Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A preponderance of ponderings

Last night as I was driving home, I was thinking about how far "behind" I am compared to a lot of my peers. I'm 31 (gasp!), unmarried, no children, I don't own a home, and I'm not very established in my field. Of these, I've only ever really wanted 4 (all but the kids). Still, it sometimes feels like I'm trailing behind yelling, "Wait up!! Wait for me!!" while I scramble over road blocks and my own awkward feet. {Jealousy and competitiveness have always been problems for me. And I'm competitive but lazy. How does that work?} Then again, I'm doing ok. I've been with the same guy for 9 years. We're better than ever and thisclose to planning our wedding. I'm back home with family and have a great job now. Things are looking up for us financially. I have beaucoup education (though perhaps worthless, it turns out). I'm getting around to things in my own time, and I suppose that's the only way it works. My own time. So, rather than being a late bloomer, I think I'm just a long bloomer. I guess that's better than a non-bloomer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

That's a great way of looking at it. :)

5/03/2006 5:22 PM  
Blogger Buttercup said...

Gypsy, I would not undervalue the fact that you have created what sounds like a wonderful relationship with your partner. I have discovered that creating that is HARD.

Plus, we are the new 20. Remember? (It's so easy to remember that when I'm telling it to someone else...).

5/03/2006 6:11 PM  
Blogger Rowan Dawn said...

Let me guess, you have a liberal arts degree? Owning a home is overrated. Anyway, that is something you can think about once you are married.

I have owned a home, am going to have 4 babies (in 13 days!!!!!), am a housewife and I have a useless degree, too. I am 30, and I think many of these things are overrated.

Maybe they are behind you. You are an inovator. ;D

5/04/2006 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home