Sunday, May 07, 2006

My mom, the compulsive shopper

My mom has a tendency to buy stuff if it's really on sale. Doesn't matter what it is. She can't resist a deal. L would probably say I'm the same way, but he knows I'm nowhere near as bad as she is. Mostly because I don't have the money, but still. "But it was such a good deal" is a common refrain in our household. L is forever telling me I have to tell Mom not to buy us anything else because we don't have the room and he doesn't want to move it all or make space for it. For things like the silly little knick-knacks she gives us, I completely agree. For things like the 500 tc sheets she gave us a few months ago? Shyeah. I'm not telling her to stop. We can get rid of the knick-knacks but he'll have to pry the sheets out of my cold, dead hands. And even then I'd haunt him. Anyway, the other day I got a package from Mom. I was hoping clothes (even though she likes to dress me like I'm 50 -- I can take them back!), but no. It was a coffee maker and a toaster. I'm thinking she bought these things during the after-season sales and thought she'd give them to us for the wedding but couldn't wait. (Because, yeah, who the hell knows when this whole "wedding" thing is going to happen. Wedding? What's that?) When L walked in the door and saw them the other night he was like, "What's all this?" I said, "One guess." He goes, "Your mother! Dammit Gypsy, you don't even drink coffee, and we already have a toaster. Tell her to stop sending us stuff." Right, babe. I'll get right on that. Of course today, as we were taking the contraptions out of their boxes, he's all, "Man, this is some good stuff." He threw away our old toaster, I'll have you know, and the new one is in a place of prominence. Go Mom!

2 Comments:

Blogger Rowan Dawn said...

Men are so funny! coffee makers come in handy when you have guests.My mother gave us one before just so she didn't have to bring one over, just her filters and coffee, lol!

We used to use it to make tea. I wouldn't tell her to quit either. Getting stuff is nice. Especially those sheets!

5/08/2006 1:24 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Go Mom! As long as she's not spending your inheritance, don't discourage her.

I'm here via Michele today.

5/08/2006 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home