Black sheep back in the fold
I survived my first night with the cousins. It went well, although one of them decided to stay out all night. At least she let me know that was her plan.
I was a little uncomfortable in the house, though. I guess I'm not used to being out of my comfort zone. The house is lovely. In fact, it's probably too lovely. That might be why I felt uncomfortable. I felt... out of place. Like I'm not nice enough to be in a house like that. Speaks volumes about my self-esteem, eh?
The house is nice in that southern, old paintings of hounds on the walls, lots of framed family photos (many taken professionally), lots of antiques, everything just so, collections of antique baskets, lots of brass, and magazines like Veranda and Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles and Traditional Home and Cottage Living and the Neiman's catalog, not a spec of dust kind of way. The sheets I slept on were so white, I was afraid I was going to sully them.
Even though this is family, I didn't really grow up that way. Our house was always cluttered. We had nice things, and we had a housekeeper, but things were comfortably lived in. You could put your feet up on the furniture, as long as Mom didn't catch you doing it.
I don't know how the aunts and my cousins do it. Everything coordinated. Lovely little pieces, adorable little accents, gorgeous little things everywhere. I'm lucky I have pictures on the wall and no dog hair on the couch and I'm only just now getting to the point where I have nice linens that {gasp} match. The reading material on our coffee tables includes L's fishing magazines, Bitch, Bust, The Knot Magazine, and an old High Times.
I know it helps that none of them work outside the home and they all have oodles of money for twice-weekly house cleanings and trips to quaint little towns to go antiquing. But it doesn't stop my envy. Nothing stops my envy.
{Note: None of this is to say that I want a traditional home with pictures of dogs or lots of brass fixtures in my home. I just want the inclination, time, and resources to make my home a priority.}
The house is nice in that southern, old paintings of hounds on the walls, lots of framed family photos (many taken professionally), lots of antiques, everything just so, collections of antique baskets, lots of brass, and magazines like Veranda and Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles and Traditional Home and Cottage Living and the Neiman's catalog, not a spec of dust kind of way. The sheets I slept on were so white, I was afraid I was going to sully them.
Even though this is family, I didn't really grow up that way. Our house was always cluttered. We had nice things, and we had a housekeeper, but things were comfortably lived in. You could put your feet up on the furniture, as long as Mom didn't catch you doing it.
I don't know how the aunts and my cousins do it. Everything coordinated. Lovely little pieces, adorable little accents, gorgeous little things everywhere. I'm lucky I have pictures on the wall and no dog hair on the couch and I'm only just now getting to the point where I have nice linens that {gasp} match. The reading material on our coffee tables includes L's fishing magazines, Bitch, Bust, The Knot Magazine, and an old High Times.
I know it helps that none of them work outside the home and they all have oodles of money for twice-weekly house cleanings and trips to quaint little towns to go antiquing. But it doesn't stop my envy. Nothing stops my envy.
{Note: None of this is to say that I want a traditional home with pictures of dogs or lots of brass fixtures in my home. I just want the inclination, time, and resources to make my home a priority.}

5 Comments:
I'm with you on the wishing! Wishing is different then envy.
Here from Michele's today and happy to Meet & Greet you! My first time here so I don't know why you are at the cousins house? Just visiting? Having 'the means' certainly can help make lots of things possible, can't it?
Hi G!
I also feel uncomfortable in places like those... fancy houses, restaurants, even some cars... I like not to worry about staining stuff or ruining furniture...
Thanks for the yesterday's visit!
It's frustrating how some people (with or without buttloads of cash) can be so freakin' together.
And by "together" I mean, you know, goes grocery shopping once a week and does laundry before they are forced to revisit socks they wore weeks prior.
I just don't get those folks.
i know EXACTLY the kind of house to which you are referring. there are lots of them throughout the south. i feel the same way when i am at houses like that. i'm afraid to sit down or touch anything. but still, everything is so nice and luxurious, so it's kinda cool.
my mom's house is like the other houses you described. only no high times. :)
i could really relate to this post! nothing stops my envy either!
Post a Comment
<< Home