Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Adventures in babysitting

Tomorrow I begin my stint of "babysitting" my young cousins while their parents are abroad. I had so hoped that they would decide on some other alternative, but no. I really do have to go sit with them. I don't want to, and that makes me feel awful. This is family. I'm 11 years older than the oldest girl, so I don't know them all that well, and I should get to know them. They're good kids (mostly -- one is a bit of a hellion, which, hi, I can relate to), and it's probably going to go fine. I hope. Here's the thing. I just don't want to be responsible for them. How's that for immature? Further proof that I just don't have the mom gene. But I can be their friend and be someone they can turn to while their parents are gone, and I can do the little things their parents have asked of me, like making sure the kids feed the dogs and paying the cleaning service. The girls are 17 and 19, so it's not like I'll be changing diapers. I'm just going to be... there. Just in case. The bonus is I found out last night that they're going to pay me. I didn't expect that, and I don't really want them to pay me. Again, this is family, and this is what I signed up for with coming back home. It's GOOD for me to be accountable to people and to be involved in their lives again and not be just some random cousin off far away. Right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

At least they're not little kids. And at least you're getting paid.

Good luck!

I'm here from Michele's today...

5/16/2006 2:13 PM  
Blogger Virginia Belle said...

you're getting paid??? suh-weet!

i would have so much fun hanging out with them. then again, i'm only about 8 years older than them. i'd probably buy them beer and cigarettes. and help them drive by their crush's house. that kind of stuff. i'd be the coolest cousin ever.

can you tell i have no female cousins?

5/23/2006 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home