Politics as usual
I had to go up to the state capitol this morning to drop off some reports. I had to stop in various offices of senators and representatives and I HATED EVERY MINUTE OF IT.
As much as I love politics, I just couldn't stand it. I actually felt dirty. I know it wasn't always like this. I had family in politics as a child, and it didn't feel oppressive and fake and slimy when I went up there before. Granted, I was a kid, but still.
The legislative process is vital, I know that. I know there are politicians who do good things. In my heart I know that.
But when I go up there it doesn't feel like it. I don't see anyone who looks like me. I don't feel represented. All I see are navy suits, pinstripes, yellow ties, killer heels, highlights, cell phones clamped to ears, flesh being pressed, oh-so-white teeth flashing smiles that don't reach their eyes.
I know they are all conforming to an accepted code of dress and behavior. But I would feel so much better about things if someone stood out. If someone had a tie loosened around their neck. If someone had a funky hairdo (and not this kind of hair-do) or a visible tattoo.
In my opinion, politics needs a little punk. Henry Rollins for President.

2 Comments:
I have walked the halls of that capitol, and I must agree. Unfortunately, I work for one of the groups that actively lobby those politicians, although in my defense we represent the police. If that helps!
I find it best not to dwell on such things.
Hi - Here from Michele's today.
omg! i love henry rollins and i love people who love henry rollins!
he would make a great president! i don't think he would stir any pots that didn't need stirring! he is outspoken but intelligent in what he says and how he says it...
Post a Comment
<< Home