Saturday, April 22, 2006

Fashion victim or victor

It occurs to me that I might not be presenting the most well-rounded view of myself on this blog. What with all my links to fancy and pretty things, perhaps you all think I'm fairly trendy and fashionable. (Then again, maybe you don't.) Well, I'm not. Not really. I like pretty things. I like gorgeous little expensive things. And I love to be up on what's new and fresh and stylish. I pour over catalogs and magazines and websites. I get lots of trend-spotting email newsletters. Though I love these things, I guess I'm kind of a schlub sometimes. I mean, I think I dress well for work, but more often than not I dress simply and conservatively and I can't for the life of me wear flashy heels, though I think they're gorgeous and sexy. When I'm not at work I wear jeans and boots, and in the summer jeans and capris and sandals. And not really girly sandals, but probably Birks or something like them. At home? Sweats and t-shirts all the way, baby, and "the girls" are hanging free and easy. I have never spent more than $60 on a bag. I've never spent more than $120 for shoes. (And mostly I spend less than $50. The higher priced ones were Birks and Doc Martens.) All of my shoes have heels that are less than 2". It kills me to pay full price for anything. I shop at TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Ross. Most of the time I feel like I can't get away with wearing some of the stuff I like. First, I'm chubby, so today's leaner fashions just ain't gonna fit my hips. Also, while I think bold, edgy styles are gorgeous, I pretty much think I'd look like a fool wearing them. Though I think I'm far from "frump girl," I'm also pretty far from chic. But I'm working on it.

5 Comments:

Blogger carmilevy said...

I'm relentlessly conserative in what I wear. When I find things I like, I buy multiples of them and wear them forever.

Old Navy and The Gap are my favorite places because they have the button-downs and other classics that I've been wearing since I was a kid.

Boring, I know. But at least my wife and kids know what to get me when they're out and about.

4/22/2006 8:02 PM  
Blogger (M)ary said...

strange, dark gypsy girl:

what a relief to hear that you are not some "hipper than thou" sex-in-the-city cutie pie! (at least not *every day*! i am sure you are some days.)

with all of your links, when i first came upon your blog, i thought you might be some chick doing her nails, wearing high heels and shopping on-line all day...which would be fine, but i can relate more to someone who is interested in fashion but not always fashionable.

4/23/2006 5:09 PM  
Blogger Yo Tambien Te Mando Besos said...

You know what? We could deffinitely be shopping buddies... same budget, similar stores... similar bodies... similar aspirations of being chic but not really getting there... sounds like fun to me!

4/24/2006 7:10 PM  
Blogger Ruby said...

I've known you for what, 3 years? I don't think I ever knew this. For all the crap you give me about my shoes....

*shakes head* *clicks tounge*

LOL

4/25/2006 11:26 PM  
Blogger Gypsy said...

You've seen me in person! Of course you must have known. ;)

4/26/2006 2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home