
L and I went to see
V for Vendetta last night. We decided to go on the spur of the moment, so we got there right as it was starting. L got popcorn, and I went to get us some seats. Only, I went into the wrong theater and didn't realize it until 5 minutes later when I thought, hey, even though I missed the first minute or two, this really should be making more sense by now. Duh. So I ran down the hall to the correct theater and found L. Stupid me.
Anyway, the movie was fantastic. V for very, very good. Natalie Portman was, as usual, luminous. V was elegant and poetic and chivalrous and gorgously sinister. It wasn't until later that I realized he was played by Hugo Weaving. Fantastic.
I loved all of the political musings about totalitarian governments, corruption, and "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." Sadly, the state of affairs in a 2020 London ruled by a corrupt, moralistic, fanatical tyrant doesn't seem all that far-fetched. Tying it all in to the Guy Fawkes stuff was brilliant. And I always enjoy a good anti-hero.
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people. -- V
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home